Preparations for Pope Francis' Nairobi visit

Tight security in Kenya for papal visit.

Security will be tight in Kenya for the three-day visit by Pope Francis from 25-27 November, especially for the open-air Mass at the University of Nairobi on 26 November, which is expected to attract up to 1.5 million faithful.

The centre of Nairobi will be closed to traffic in the hours around the celebration with the exception of the presidential and papal motorcades.The only vehicles that will be granted access to the university are emergency services.

Nairobi Pope_Francis

Visitors from countries recently affected by the Ebola virus will be screened thoroughly at the city's main arrival points, although previous travel Ebola restrictions have been lifted.

A central aspect of the pontiff’s trip will be his 27 November visit to the city’s Kangemi slum, in the outskirts, to “highlight the plight of poverty” and view the work of Christian aid agencies.

There are 1.4 million Catholics in Nairobi, and 14 million across Kenya. Catholics constitute about 30 per cent of Kenya’s 80 per cent Christian majority. The remaining 20 per cent are mainly Muslims.

Kenya is the first country Pope Francis will visit during his African visit from 25-30 November. On 27 November the pontiff will travel to Uganda and then to the Central African Republic on 29 November.

Photo. L'Osservatore Romano

Wanted in Africa
Wanted in Africa
Wanted in Africa, part of the Wanted Worldwide network, is a website in English for expatriates in Africa established in 2006. We cover Europe's news stories that may be of interest to English speaking residents along with tourists as well. Our publication also offers classifieds, photos, information on events, museums, churches, galleries, exhibits, fashion, food, and local travel.
Previous article British tourists fly out of Egypt
Next article Nigerian cabinet sworn in