20 October-20 November 2010. The photographic exhibition shows the monumental restoration of the Islamic monument of Sama Khana (31 El Siyufiah St., Helmia Gedida, tel. +20 (0) 2 25107806)
by Italian artist, archeologist and restorer Giuseppe Fanfoni.
The marvelous Sufi monument, also known as Sufi Theatre, dates back to 1810 and until 1942 it housed the Cairo confraternity of the Mevlevi Sufi Order, whose members, better known in the west as Whirling Dervishes, used a special circular dance as a meditative ritual. Currently it hosts conferences, concerts and seminars.
Fanfoni is professor and restorer of the Rome University La Sapienza as well as director of the Ciera (Italian-Egyptian Centre for Restoration and Archaeology). Fanfoni worked in 1962 at the relocation of the Abu Simbel Temple.